Jelly bean for xperia ray st18i..! Yes, that’s possible. This tutorial that will guide you to install Jell Bean 4.1.2 on your xperia ray smartphone. We all know that, Jellybean is not officially released by Sony and it will never going to happen in the future! Sony already announced that Sony xperia ray’s final version is Ice-cream Sandwich (ICS). Sony xperia ray’s last official release is ICS 4.0.4. So I was really unhappy, because my phone will never get jelly bean update. But, now my xperia ray is running on Jelly Bean 4.1.2 without any issues! The unbelievable truth is, now my phone is running better that the earlier version of android. I’m fully satisfied on Jelly Bean.
Jelly bean for xperia ray st18i
This Jelly bean custom ROM is having so many features and is running smoothly on my phone. For the past two months I’m using this jelly bean custom ROM. This custom ROM is developed by Harsh Singhvi for xda-developers. He gave the name “Super Jelly Bean” to this custom ROM. Now Super Jelly Bean 6.0 is released with so many new features. You can read the changelog here.
About This Tutorial
Actually this is an extreme beginners tutorial for the users who never installed/used any custom ROMs. So, this tutorial will guide you from A to Z needed steps to install this custom ROM in your xperia ray android smartphone. So, come with me, let’s start.
Requirements & Instructions Before Going To Do Any Steps:
1. Phone Must Be Rooted.
Note: If your phone is not rooted, Read this article: How To Root Sony Xperia Ray With Android 4.0.4 In 5 Minutes
2. Download Super Jelly Bean 6.0 Custom ROM Files: (Link Updated On 28/Jun/2014)
1. Super Jelly Bean 6.0 Ray.zip
2. gapps-jb-20130624-sjb 4.1.2.zip
3. Android SDK
4. Fastboot driver.
5. Important: Backup your contacts and data to the computer.
6. Your device must have a minimum of 80% of charge.
7. Enable USB debugging mode on your phone.
I hope you followed the above steps. So, let’s move on.
Video Tutorial For Installing Jelly Bean On Xperia Ray:
How To Unlock The Bootloader of Sony Xperia Ray?
Step 1: Bootloader Unlocking
We have to unlock your bootloader to install a custom ROM. If you already unlocked the bootloader, you can skip this step. If not, follow these instructions. If my steps are not clear, just go to google and type “unlock bootloader of xperia ray“, and fine a good tutorial for unlocking the bootloader.
- I hope you already downloaded the Android SDK, it’s in .zip format, so you will need 7zip or winrar to extract it. So, extract the files.
- Run “SDK Manager.exe” and choose “Tools” and “Extras”. Click “Install x packages” and “Accept all”.
- Wait until all packages will be installed.
- When all packages are downloaded and installed, go to sdk/platform-tools/ and check you have adb and fastboot is there.
- Now, go to http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and read the instructions carefully.
- Go to the bottom of the page and click Start unlocking the bootloader.
- Type *#*#7378423#*#* and go to Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status.
- If you can see Bootloader unlock allowed: Yes, you can continue to the next step. But, if you see Bootloader unlock allowed: No, Do not continue.
- When you reach the Create unlock boot loader key request page, just fill the forum with your Name, IMEI, and Email. [Don’t use the fake email address, because your unlock-code will be going sent to this email address].
Note: If you can’t submit the forum, remove the last digit of your IMEI code and try again!
- After few moments you will receive an email from Sony with you Unlock-code. Don’t delete the email or don’t lost the unock-code until you unlock the bootloader.
Hurray! It’s time to unlock the bootloader!
- Download the Fastboot Driver file [Check requirements above]. Extract the file (android_winusb.inf) and copy to Android SDK>extras>google>usb_driver and replace it.
- Turn on the device by pressing the Fastboot button and connect it to the PC with a USB cable.
Note: To connect the xperia ray device in fastboot mode, press and hold the Volume Up button while connecting to the PC. Blue LED light will turn ON, so this means that your device is connected in Fastboot mode!
More details about Fastboot buttons of different phone models are given in Sony help page.
- On your computer, you will be asked for drivers. Point to the usb_driver folder where you placed the android_winusb.inf-file, and select the Android Boot loader Interface-file.
Note: If your PC is already having the driver, it won’t be ask. Then, you can skip this step!
- Then, Go to Android SDK>platform-tools> and press and hold shift button on free space and right click and select “open command window here”. Then copy fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version to the command prompt and verify that you get a response back (for example “0.3”). This means your device is connected properly. See the below image: Then close the command prompt.
- Last and final step: Re-open the command prompt like the above step and paste the command fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY replace the KEY with you unlock-code, and press enter.
- Congratulations! Your bootloader was unlocked! Turn on the phone, don’t worry, it may take some time to turn on.
- Please note, now phone settings are currently restored. So, turn on the USB debugging once again.
Step 2: Installing ROM Manager App
We need to install an application to install Clockworkmod in our xperia ray smartphone.
- Download and install ROM manager from Google Play.
- You can use your PC to download and install ROM Manager. See my video tutorial for more details.
Step 3: Copying Files To SD Card
- Connect your phone to the PC in mass storage mode.
- Copy the zip files to your SD card (Super Jelly Bean 6.0 Ray.zip and gapps-jb-20130624-sjb 4.1.2.zip). Note: Don’t extract the files into the SD card.
- Disconnect the cable from PC.
Step 4: Installing ClockworkMod
- Turn on the phone & open ROM manager.
- Open ROM Manager and Install ClockworkMod Recovery. See the below step-by-step screenshots for detailed explanation.
- Select Recovery Setup option in ROM Manager:
Select ClockworkMod 2.x
Step 5: Flashing Fusion Kernel
I have already seen the CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean 4.1 firmware in my friend’s phone, he is not satisfied with that firmware. But, this version is very stable and having better performance than the CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean 4.1. So, let’s start flashing our Fusion Kernel.
- Turn off the device and connect your device to PC in fastboot mode.
- Copy urushi_fusion_5.4.img to Android SDK>platform-tools directory.
- Open command prompt from that directory [In the platform-tools directory, press and hold shift button on free space and right click and select “open command window here”.]
- Type fastboot flash boot urushi_fusion_5.4.img and press enter. You will get a “Finished” message after the successful completion of flashing.
Step 6: The Final Step – Installing Jelly bean and gapps
- Turn on the phone and boot into the recovery. To get into the boot recovery, Press power button to turn on the device, then press volume down button few times while the phone gets booted.
- After getting into the recovery, go to backups and restore>backup to take a backup of your current ROM.
- Then wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache (advanced>wipe dalvik cache)
- After wiping, select install zip>Super Jelly Bean 6.0 Ray.zip and confirm the install process.
- After installing, select install zip>gapps-jb-20130624-sjb 4.1.2.zip and confirm the install process.
- Next step is to turn off the device. So, select power options>power off.
Tip: To navigate options you can use your volume up and volume down buttons. To select use home button. To go back, use the back button.
Note: After the installation process, allow the rom to settle for at least 15min, then turn on the device as usual. It may take some time for the first boot. If you have any issues in booting, repeat the Step 6 one more time.
Congratulations!! You successfully installed jelly bean on your Sony Xperia Ray Smartphone!
So, now I’m waiting for your response. Let me know if you completed these steps successfully. Having any issues? Feel free to comment here!